Mashups in Original Course View
Mashups allow viewing and sharing of media content from external web sites. Currently, these websites include:
- Flickr Photo - enables users to upload videos to a streaming server and embed within Blackboard (available in the Text-Box Editor only)
- SlideShare - enable users to share presentations
- YouTube - enables users to share videos
- Kaltura Media - enables users to upload videos to a streaming server and embed within Blackboard
Mashups can be added as course content through any Content Area or added through the Text-Box Editor located through a Blackboard course. Adding a Mashup into a Content Area makes it a part of the course information that faculty members present to users for viewing. Adding a Mashup using the Text-Box Editor means that faculty members can put Mashups in a variety of places where users can interact with the content, such as in test questions, Discussion Boards, and Blogs.
Mashups can be displayed in the following ways:
- Embedded Presentation: The Mashup displays directly on the page when a student opens the item.
- Thumbnail: A small picture of the Mashup displays on the page with controls to launch it.
- Text Link with Player: A link to the Mashup is displayed on the page. Students click the link to launch the Mashup.
Embedding Media in Ultra Course View
In the Ultra Course View, Mashups are replaced by the Insert/Edit Media from the Web function in the text editor. The editor automatically embeds media and O365 files so it appears with other content you include. Students can view the content, such as a video, within the same window — no need to navigate to the media's site.
You can embed content from these sites:
- Khan Academy
Add Embedded Media
Embedded media can be added anywhere the text editor appears, such as in Documents, Discussions, Assignments (both creation and student submissions), and more.
- In the editor, click the Add Content button (a plus sign + in a circle)
- Click Insert/Edit Media from Web in the menu
- Paste the source URL from the site in the Media URL field and add alternative text that describes the item for people who use screen readers or may not be able to load the content
- Click Insert. The item automatically embeds in the editor
- Click Save when you are finished editing the content