The Discussion Board is a tool for sharing thoughts and ideas about class materials asynchronously (not at the same time). The Discussion Board is administered by the faculty member and made up of forums that may appear anywhere in the course but are also all centrally located in the Discussion Board tool.
Discussions in Blackboard resemble an electronic bulletin board, where users post their messages when they have time. In the Discussion Board, a forum is a general topic for discussion. A thread is subordinate discussion within the forum.
Students can access the Discussion Board through the Tools menu link in the Course Menu, or a faculty member can create a Discussion Board link to display as part of the Course Menu.
To create a Discussion Board forum: From the Course Menu, click Tools, click Discussion Board, then click Create Forum in the adjacent content frame.
Last Updated: 9/26/2017
- Tips for Communicating Effectively Using Blackboard
- Tips and Strategies for Implementing Successful Discussion Board Forums
- Interactive Rubrics: Providing Consistent and Quality Feedback
- Discussion Board [PDF]
- About the Discussion Board
- Creating Group Discussions
- Managing Discussions
- Moderating Discussions
- Reply to Discussion Board Posts
- Grading Discussion Board Participation
- Creating Forums in the Discussion Board
- Creating Threads in the Discussion Board