Student Response System (SRS) is a technology which allows faculty to receive immediate feedback from students wirelessly with the use of small handheld devices commonly referred to as 'clickers' (displayed below). Turning Technologies is a Student Response System that has been centrally adopted by NIU starting from Fall 2011 semester.
Turning Technologies student response system can be used in conjunction with Blackboard to create a complete interactive learning experience. You can use Turning Technologies software in the classroom to engage your students and provide them with instant feedback and then upload results from your class assessments conducted with Turning Technologies SRS to Blackboard.
Hardware - The following components are needed to run Turnin Technologies SR in a classroom or lecture hall: computer with Turning Technologie software on it, projector, receiver, and a response pad (clicker). NIU has adopted the QT Device type of student response pad (pictured on the left).
Faculty who plan to teach with clickers, can request an instructor kit from Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center at email@example.com. NIU DoIT-managed smart classrooms have Turning Technologies software already installed on faculty member stations. If you teach in your department or college supported smart classrooms, please contact your local technical staff for software information.
Software - the following software is installed in DoIT-managed smart classrooms:
- PowerPoint Polling - allows integrating questions into existing or new PowerPoint presentations.
- AnyWhere Polling - allows polling with any application, including whiteboard software, web browsers, PDFs, Microsoft Office products, or Keynote.
- Self-paced Polling - allows student to take tests/quizzes at their own pace in class (similar to paper tests).
Fall 2016 Update
DoIT installed the latest version of TurningPoint Cloud (Version 126.96.36.199) in the Provost's Office-sponsored smart classrooms during the fall semester. This software installation does not impact the receivers or the clickers, and offers a number of bug fixes and minor quality of life improvements.
To download the latest release, log into your Turning Account, then click on the Downloads tab.
Training and Tutorials
In addition to periodic workshops on clickers hosted by Faculty Development & Instructional Design Center, Turning Technologies also offers TurningPoint Cloud training in the form of a user guide, tutorials, instructor-led online classes, and self-paced training. All of these trainings are offered at no cost to faculty using TurningPoint and clickers. The instructor-led online classes are available multiple times each week and are typically an hour in length. These trainings are highly recommended for faculty looking to use clickers for the first time or to learn how to use the new upgraded software.
Using Blackboard with TurningPoint
Help and Support
For specific questions regarding TurningTechnologies clicker devices, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding the adoption of clickers in your classroom, please contact our Turning Technologies account manager:
Jessica Stickle (Account Executive): (for general questions regarding ordering and product information)
Phone: 330.531.7789| Email: email@example.com
You can also reach Turning Techologies' technical support at 866.746.3015.
For general questions about clickers at NIU, faculty and staff can contact our office at 753-0595 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More details regarding the system are available from Turning Technologies at https://www.turningtechnologies.com/polling-solutions/turningpoint/.
Last updated: 10/23/2017
- Can Turning Technologies clickers be purchased for one class and used in another?
- Where can clickers be purchased?
- Can more than one student use the same clicker?
- Can students sell or give their clicker at the end of the semester to other students?
- Can quizzes be created before class time?
- Can TurningPoint files be stored on a network drive and accessed/modified there?
- Does TurningPoint allow for multiple user (faculty) capabilities?
- Do clickers come with batteries? If they do, what is the projected battery life of a ResponseCard QT?
- Can "on-the-fly" questions be incorporated in an existing PowerPoint presentation?
- Are "on-the-fly" scores recorded in Blackboard?
- Can faculty members work on building exams, quizzes, etc., in a practice class in their own departmental offices or at home?
- How can faculty prevent misuse of clickers?
- Is Turning Technologies software installation required?
- What is the range of possibilities of Turning Technologies software?
- Does Turning Technologies software run on a Mac?